School Council is a group of SCA parents who meet monthly with our school principals and our School Trustee, working together to support and enhance student learning.
The mission of our School Council is to foster the well-being our school community, so that we have the most effective environment for learning. We desire that every student will benefit from a challenging Christian education, that they will know Jesus Christ personally as Savior and Lord, and that their schooling will be part of an excellent foundation as they pursue a life of godly character and service to others with Christ as their focus.
Our vision is that our School Council will foster good communication within our School community, including staff, counsellors, parents, and the student body, so that we can make the most of these fantastic partnerships. We believe that this will help to create an effective learning environment, bringing out the best in our students’ potential.
Our main functions are to:
A – Advise our school administrators on current school functions and future initiatives with opinions that reflect the student and parent community.
B – Bolster our school’s Christ-centered focus. We desire to champion the Christian component of SCA by looking for opportunities to support and enhance spiritual development.
C – Communicate with our school parents to bring forward ideas and concerns to Council. Support parents with seminars and resources to address areas of need and interest with respect to enhancing their children’s educational, emotional, and spiritual needs.
Members of School Council: 2018-2019
Alissa Ottahal &
For any questions or concerns please contact a Parent council member by sending an email to SCSschoolcouncil@gmail.com. Provide your full name and indicate position or grade you are addressing in the email subject.
Parent Council Commitment Form
To download a copy of the Parent Council Application form please click here.
School Council Minutes January 2019
School Council Meeting January 29, 2019
Present: Aaron Box, Karla Alton, Stephanie Antoniuk, Marci Mast, Michelle Wylie, Matt Spronk; assistant principal, Don Irwin: trustee, Alec; student council rep and 4 parents
Absent: Tracy Komant, Ange Huth, Cori Klaas, Allissa Ottahal
Matt Spronk opened in prayer.
Alec presented on behalf of the student council.
-they have combined student like and spiritual life and renamed it Campus Life
- They are doing activities based on the Christian calendar. For example; they will be sharing a Passover meal to celebrate Passover.
- He shared about a number of events they have sponsored in the past and talked about some of the events they hope to do in the next semester.
-Council was invited to help with the end of the year barbeque again.
-One of the parents asked him where the council gets its money from for these events. Alec responded by telling us that the majority of the money comes from the Eagle’s Nest and some from the school.
Aaron has talked with SCA society about the MOU (memorandum of understanding, the agreement with EIPS), they will present at our next meeting in February.
Aaron voiced some frustrations and would like for us to have a frank discussion about where we are and what we, as a school council, want to do, what are our expectations?
What do parents want from council?
-discuss things pertaining to our children’s’ education
-important to know how the board works and getting to know our trustee
- Matt said it should be a place parents can ask questions and hold admin accountable but also to support admin.
For those who are council members; council should be a priority, with missing meetings only in the case of emergencies.
Other school councils basically are split in two parts, one part is more of information sharing/parent teacher association and the other part does more of the fundraising. The 2 groups meet separately and together.
Asca (Alberta School Council Association) has lots of answers and a framework for the council.
Where are we with building unity between SPAC, the school and the society?
How are we doing supporting the students? Supporting the staff?
What kind of initiatives do we have going on?
What do we want from the trustee reports?
More personalized to our school and what matters to us.
Open to questions
Matt wants questions and feedback and if he has this ahead of time he can plan his report
around the questions. He would like some suggestions of topics for the admin to present on.
Council and admin will come up with an agenda for the meeting and highlight what we need to
know to help us filter out the excessive information.
What are the best ways to communicate with the parents?
- Short, quick emails and send out emails before the meetings with a question we
want to discuss at the next meeting.
Don gave his trustee report- talked about the overall picture of the results review.
-SCA is always high on the results review
- He gave us a handout with the 4 year plan of how the school board is supporting education
and talked about the honors program in junior high.
- February 28 there will be a forum for how students feel about cell phones in school. Don will
let us know when the parent survey is expected to be out.
- All meetings are available on the board website.
Matt gave the admin report-
-Jon Elzinga is talking with the society about how best to spread the information about the
- Wes is presenting to the society about reinstate the international missions’ program.
-April 26 will be a deskless day to help raise funds and awareness for how education looks
around the world. How can the council support that?
Aaron will meet with Wes or Matt to come up with an agenda for meetings.
Matt will find dates for the Arts Gala and email Marci with a list of possibilities.
For the February 26 meeting all council members need to read the operating procedures, make notes
about them and be ready to vote on them.
Krista has developed a document about all the different school council terms, she will share it to out
Facebook page, and this is a working document so if anyone else has and terms they would like to add
to it, they are free to do that.
It was also suggested, that it might help to build community if some of the parents meet for coffee after
Marci closed in prayer.
SCA Secondary School Council Minutes November 27, 2018
SCA Secondary School Council Minutes November 27, 2018
Present: Aaron Box, Tracey Komant, Karla Alton, Ange Huth, Michelle Wylie, Alissa Ottahal, Wes Merta, Don Irwin plus 6 parents.
Absent: Cori Klaus, Marci Mast, Stephanie Antoniuk, Symonds Botchey, Jordie Maxwell
- Meeting called to Order @ 7:06 by Tracey Komant
- Devotion and Opening Prayer: Lynn Poole (parent) shared 4: 8-11
- Additions to Agenda: no additions
- Review of October 30, 2018 Minutes:
Motion to accept by Karla Alton. Seconded by Tracey Komant.
- New Business: Aaron Box
- Draft of Operating Procedures. Roles and duties, roles of parents versus members etc. Should a member of the Student Council have a role? Ange Huth to contact Jordie Maxwell for name of student etc. 8 pages to be reviewed and accepted/ amended by council members during January
- Parent-Teacher Night re-cap. Parents seemed receptive. Possibly set up a “fancy” coﬀee station and an area for kids during Spring interviews. More signage as Sell pizza coupons once again?
- School Website- should “School Council “ tab feature hi-lights along with monthly minutes? Each month have a topic or question to be discussed to encourage more parents to attend meetings? Signage possibly inside and outside the school building. Ange Huth to connect with Jordie Maxwell re. communication
- Annual Education Results Report: Aaron to attend review/ discussion of results with Jon, Wes and Matt November 28. Summary for Council in
- Fundraising Society/ Association: Look into the additional insurance EIPS oﬀers or consider purchasing separate insurance. Waiting for more information from Lynn Brims- financial services at EIPS.
- Whiteboard discussion- review SCS School Council’s vision for the year How can we inspire change? Find some guiding Scripture, pray, take the high road, choose to forget about issues that caused a sense of dis-unity, or address certain issues? Review these questions prayerfully and ask for humility and healing. Can we personally connect with someone from the Pastoral team, the SCA Society, an Elder board member? SCS’s campus pastors?
- Calendar and Admin Report: Wes Merta Calendar:
- “First” gathering Monday , December 3rd 8:45 am in the Link
- Missions Gala Monday , December 3rd 7pm
- Band concert Tuesday , December 4th 6:30pm
- Eagles Invitational December 6-8
- Encounter December 11th
- Last day of classes for 2018 December 21st
- January exam schedule being finalized and will on website
- Diploma and PAT test results overview November 28 (Aaron attending)
- “Show Love” initiative possibly expanding to include more outreach. Considering working with “Classrooms for Africa” purchasing
- Trustee Report : Don Irwin
- Don invites all parents to contact him using email@example.com
- Board Highlights include a Presentation to the Board re. a possible name change for two diﬀerent schools
- Enrolment for 2018/19 up 23 students
- School Capital Projects mentions two school openings
- The Annual Education Results Report. SCS scored well once again.
- Highlights from November 22 meeting will be posted on the EIPS website
- Society Board Report: Wes Merta
- MOU is to be complete by December 31st. Waiting on two unresolved issues (EIPS).
Inviting a Society member to Council meeting in February to present MOU.
- Fundraising Report: Alissa Ottahal
- $332 raised from sale of Nitza’s pizza coupons
- Hot Lunch is expecting $149.25 this Thursday bringing YTD total to $715.86
- Ideas on using the money raised this year? Coﬀee station for Spring interviews, teachers appreciation meal, Arts Gala?
- COSC Report : Aaron Box
- Aaron attended November 7th meeting where the Annual Results Review was discussed .
- Next COSC meeting January 9, 2019
- Closing Prayer: Jeremy Peters (parent) Meeting adjourned by Aaron Box at 9:02 pm
**Next meeting January 29, 2019
SCA Secondary School Council Minutes: September 24, 2018
SCA Secondary School Council Minutes:
September 24, 2018
Present: Tracey Komant, Aaron Box, Matt Spronk, Alissa Ottahal,
Marci Mast, Ange Huth, Michelle Wylie, Cori Klaus, Karla Alton,
Absent: Stephanie Antoniuk, Don Irwin, Jordie Maxwell
1. Call Meeting to Order @ 7:05pm: Tracey Komant
2. Devotions & Opening Prayer: Aaron Box
3. Additions To Agenda:
- Discussion of recent NDP actions.
4. Review of September 20, 2018 Minutes:
- Two items to follow up on:
-Fundraising Ideas, Tracey was unable to contact Papa Johns
Manager for Pizza Coupons.
- Directory Suggestion
5. Admin Report/SCA Calendar: Matt Spronk
Nov.6 & 8: Parent Teacher Interviews
Nov. 7: Early Dismissal
Nov. 9: Remembrance day Chapel
Nov. 22: Career fair
Dec. 3: Missions Gala
Dec. 4: Band Concert
- Show Love was reviewed at ACSI and Jr High Students are very
responsive but adjustments will be made to hand out cards in the
classrooms to try to incorporate the Highschool Students more. The
focus will be more upon Missional Living and Outreach in our
6. SCS Society Report:
- Society Board is meeting now, Oct. 30, 2018.
- MOU is close to being finalized and our School Council plans to
invite a member of the Board to come once it is completed and
7. School Trustee Board Report: Don Irwin Absent
- Board Highlight is on EIPS website
8. Fundraising: Alissa Ottahal/Cori Klaus
- Junior High Hot Lunch has had 2 Lunches with a revenue of $369
- Grocery Card Fundraiser raised $2403.
- Total of just under $3500 in the account.
- Do we need Insurance for our Fundraising Society?
- Is there By-laws for the Fundraising Society?
9. COSC Report: Aaron Box
-Meeting was held Oct. 16, 2018. Treaty 6 Recognition Statement is
to be said at the start of every meeting.
- Organizational Structure and a new Executive was elected.
- COSC Sharing exercise on “How does your Council celebrate the
- Board Report given by Trina Boymook
- Spoke about the Board Retreat and their priorities
- Future Cell phone usage in schools policy change
- 32 new Teachers were brought on this year
- ASCA(Alberta School Council Association) Presentation:
- It is 1 of 5 Reporting Bodies that the Minister follows.
- It takes as little as 6 Letters for an issue or concern to be
- Next COSC Meeting: Nov. 7, 2018
10. New Business: Aaron Box
- PAT Results have invited Council members to attend an event,
Nov. 28 from 9-3:30 at Central Office.
- Goals of SCS School Council:
- To be More Influential and Advocates for Change
- Recognized as a support system to Students and Staff
- Bring 2 Parents each to our next meeting and ideas on how to
create Unity between our School, SPAC, Parents, and the Society
- Communication Ideas:
-Facebook: Have an account under SCAS School Council
- Instagram: Have an account under scasecondary
- Email: Account is on Website
- Twitter: Hard to Monitor
- Remind: Account in the process of being started
- Future Meeting Dates: March had an original date of Mar. 26, 2019.
That is Spring Break so it has been changed to Mar. 19, 2019.
- Operating Procedures: Amendments and Typographical errors to
- Motion to Amend: Aaron Box, Second: Cori Klaus
All in Favor
- Bill 24: Gay/Straight Alliance.
- Recent actions have been taken by our Government which
makes it more difficult for us to stand behind our Christian beliefs and
Values. More to be discussed in future meetings.
11. Closing Prayer: Symonds Botchey
Future Meeting Dates:
May 28, 2019
School Council Updates
Archive Minutes from 2017Posted on Feb 18 2017
Please find archived minutes here https://www.scasecondary.ca/download/156903
October Meeting MinutesPosted on Nov 21 2016
Minutes SCA Secondary Parent Council Meeting Monday, October 24, 2016 Present: Sally Navis, Judy Jacobson, Wes Merta, Tracey…